The word "audit" has been tied to our beloved IRS since I can remember. When one typically thinks of this five letter word, I would assume a little fear comes to mind.
People are accustomed to linking audits with men who have shiny jet black hair, sunglasses darker than Guinness beer and nicely pressed black suits. Do Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones from Men in Black come to mind? Now that I have digressed, let's go to the reason I am actually writing this lovely article, shall we?
Many of you may not know that Advanced Web offers a very unique service to our customers and/or prospects. This value added service is more commonly known as a Label Audit. In short, the end goal of performing the audit is to help us deepen our understanding on the specs of each label. By doing so it enables us to analyze the data and recommend solutions which will help streamline customer ordering patterns for better economic decisions.
We break down the audit into five different categories. They are design elements, materials, secondary operations, procurement process and workflow process. If I included all the things we look for within each category, you'd be reading this until you retire. Anyway, here are a few key bullets inside each.
- Determine which software is used for artwork creation
- Do common plates/colors exist for any parts
- Any known restrictions which would keep the label from being printed Flexo
- Material the label is being applied to (polyester, polyethylene, etc.)
- Face stock properties (paper or film, gloss or matte)
- Adhesive properties (permanent or removable, application temperature)
- Liner (hand or machine applied, lay flat requirements)
- Durability needs
- Sterilization methods
- Final packaging process
- Forecast and release quantity
- Supplier Managed Inventory (SMI)
- Shipping methods/terms
- Label documentation and Rev level system
- Proofing type and signoff process
- First Article requirements
In ending, this service is yet another integral part of what differentiates us from the competition. It allows us to use our experience and expertise in the industry. By doing so, we earn credibility and it demonstrates that we truly have the customers' best interest in mind. Now you'll have to please excuse me as I need to run to the dry cleaners to pick up my freshly ironed suit.